Sunday 16 November 2008

It's the economy . . . stupid.

I woke up this afternoon (after a well deserved lie in) to find my staple news site, the BBC full of stories about the present economic problems. I avoid the word 'crisis' as I do not want to take part in the general media's obsession with pushing us over the edge into a recession. I would argue that the entire crisis is the media's own doing and it's own creation, but this would not be true; we have all had a role in the current crisis and we must learn the lessons that it will teach us.

A solution that I would throw my whole political will behind, which admittedly amounts to very little apart from my occasional musings on this blog, will surprise many of you; keep taxes as they are. A tax cut as Gordon Brown is reported to be mulling, would serve purely as a politically motivated action with the next election getting closer by the day. A tax cut it would seem would play into Gordon Brown's chances of clinging to power and is part of a strategy others have pointed out to woo voters.

In the media circus surrounding the economic downturn, a minimal tax cut would do extremely little to boost consumer spending or confidence. The media would simply cite the cut as another step toward economic catastrophe. Not only would this not boost the economy in the slightest, it would also be completely irresponsible and would leave the nation in massive debt for future generations.

I would argue that taxes should stay the same for the next financial year, or maybe slightly higher . . . I believe that we should embark on a sensible public spending bout. This would create jobs in sectors that are on life support (construction for example,) improve public services, prevent the national debt from exploding and generate investment in the areas that may be hit hardest.

Till next time, Joe

No comments: