Wednesday 19 November 2008

Something a little local

As an advance warning this may seem like a negative post, and by negative I don't mean politically or personally but the subject in general.

I always use public transport as much as I can, this is for two reasons; one it is easy and number two it is environmentally friendly (although I will be the first to admit this is not the most important to me.) I always use Wakefield Kirkgate station, the station itself paints a bleak picture and abysmal impression of the city, which is in fact up and coming. The station is used by hundreds of people a day and to be honest when dark, it is quite intimidating.

Now the main issue I have with this is not the building or the impression it makes on the city, that is irrelevant, it is that someone was recently sexually assaulted here. While I concede that this could happen in many places, not enough is done to prevent it. There is subway that links the platforms, it has several blind spots for people that use it. There were mirrors on each corner, allowing users to see round the corner, these have been vandalised and removed leaving blind spots in a subway.

This is a dangerous gap in security and the prevention of not just sexual assault, but practically any crime. I have written to the operator of the station, Northern Rail and requested that they install the mirrors as a preventative measure.

Thanks for reading, Joe

No comments: